Marriage License Requirements
Lake County, Indiana
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Both applicants must be present at the time of application with a valid driver’s license or a state identification card, for proof of residency, identity, and date of birth. Social security number is also required.
- If at least one of the applicants is a resident of Lake County, the fee is $18.00, payable by cash only.
- If neither applicant is not an Indiana resident, the fee is $60.00, payable by cash only. The application and subsequent wedding must take place in the County they applied in.
- If either applicant is an Indiana resident, but live outside of Lake County, they must go to the county in which they reside.
- Once the license is obtained, Indiana residents may be married anywhere in the state of Indiana. The records will be recorded in whatever county you applied in.
- If the couple is being married in another state, they must go to that state and follow that state’s requirements.
- The license is valid for 60 days, and can be used the same day it is applied for. There is no waiting period.
- Judges are available Monday through Friday, 11:00 A.M. to 12:45 P.M. must call for an appointment. Fee is required.
- Lake County is now accepting on line applications, the couple will complete the form on line at in.gov/marriage. The couple will arrive at the clerk's office and inform the staff that the form was completed on line. The record will be searched in Incite and completed by a Deputy Clerk.
If applicants are under 18 years of age (17)
- All above requirements apply.
- Both parents of underage applicant must be present, with their valid driver’s license or state identification card, and a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- The underage applicant must have a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- If the underage applicant is not an Indiana resident, he or she cannot apply in Indiana.
For more information, please call;
Hon. Lorenzo Arredondo
Lake County Clerk
As of 5-21-2020